Junior Electrical Engineer – Johannesburg South
Salary: R22k+ CTC
A challenging position exists in the Engineering Department for a graduate assistant controller electrical/electronic engineer reporting to the Senior Control Engineer. The engineer will be assigned an area of responsibility in one of the below areas once a good overall working knowledge of the control systems in each area of the factory has been obtained.
- Matric; BSc Engineering or B Engineering (Electrical/Electronic)
- 1-3 years working experience
- SAP; SCADA;PLC; MIS Systems (detailed below)
- Registered with ECSA as a Candidate Engineer with the intention of obtaining professional engineer’s registration within a maximum of two years.
- Very good knowledge of Ethernet networks, as applied in an industrial environment (including where used for high-speed motion control).
- An ability to lead people and work as part of a team.
- An interest in low voltage and medium voltage reticulation. This will not be the candidates main focus, but an understanding of the site low voltage and medium voltage reticulation system will be required as part of his/her training.
- Engineer be prepared to work “hands on” when necessary. This is required when assisting the maintenance team with complex fault-finding and when commissioning new equipment.
- Should demonstrate good leadership skills, with a view to taking on a management role in the future, should an opportunity become available.
- Good Written and Verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Skills The position would suit an engineer who has the following skills:
- A specific interest in industrial software and control using PLCs, variable speed drives servo system, SCADA systems and integration of specialised external systems.
- Experience with developing PLC software in one or more of the following areas. (Experience with the Rockwell Logix range of PLC is preferred but not essential):
- PLC control of a large-scale continuous process using PID control
- Control of a high-speed discrete system, such as a packing line
- Integration of PLC/SCADA systems with an MIS system
- Exposure to third-party measurement systems
- Experience with at least two of the following will be highly advantageous:
- PLC control of variable speed drives.
- Rockwell motion control systems using Control Logix PLCs.
- Rockwell Factory Talk View SCADA system, especially in a large-scale multi-server environment.
- Exposure to and a working knowledge of industrial instrumentation, as used in a continuous process.
The manufacturing process makes extensive use of PLC and SCADA control systems to do the following types of control:
- Very accurate mixing of dry raw materials (such as sand and dolomite) for the product process
- Continuous control for the melting and annealing process. This includes extensive use of PID control loops with scope for advanced control, such as model-based multivariable control.
- High-speed discrete control for the cutting and packaging process. This Include:
- Motion control, using servo drives
- Control of conveyors using variable frequency drives.
- Very accurate tracking for the cutting and stacking process.
- Use of robots for glass stacking.
- Extensive use of variable frequency drives in all areas.
- Extensive use of Ethernet Networking, for all levels of communication.
- Control of the operation of large diesel generators to automatically start and switch in the event of power failure. Plant has in excess of 10MVA installed emergency generating capacity.
- SCADA systems for supervisory control
- An interface between the control system environment and the following:
- a data historian
- an MIS system
Find us on Facebook at Twitter
Please note, should you not hear back from us within 4 weeks, consider your application unsuccessful. We uphold our clients request to adhere to their BBBEE policy for this position, EE Candidates as first option